Benefits of Bamboo – All kinds of bamboo has a special feature that is on the trunk / stem of the stem, it is some kind of a sticky “dust”. These “dust” are fine hairs black attached to the stem of a bamboo rod. Bamboo trees have a “dust” which is attached to the bamboo sticks.
The function of the special features of bamboo has “dust” is to protect himself or repel the enemy.
If our bodies were exposed this “dust”, it will itch like our skin itch when exposed fur caterpillar.
The benefits of bamboo in various fields have been pretty much in use in Indonesia, often we know the weapon named bamboo spears. We certainly never come across a bamboo tree instead. If we go to the mountains or hilly areas including of course there are bamboo plants are lined up neatly. Bamboo can also be found in the yard of the house if you plant bamboo trees themselves.
Yellow bamboo, is suitable for ornamental plants at your home yard.
Bamboo trees including crops that reproduce by budding. Bamboo trees including robust plants and easy to grow.
Plant bamboo trees strong enough to withstand all weathers.
Bamboo Main Charateristics
In general all kinds of bamboo can be characterized as follows:
- fibrous roots
- Breed shoots / bamboo shoots / bung (there is also a kind of bamboo that can be easily bred by stem cuttings namely bamboo Ampel)
- Has a cavity in its trunk
- Has a stem segment
- Reinforced bamboo leaves parallel leaf
The Types of Bamboo
Before continuing to know more about the benefits of this Bamboo trees, here are the kinds of tit you might wanna know about.
These trees can be easily find mainly in Asian countries. There are at least 12 specific kinds of bamboos can be found in Indonesia, alone.
Which means there are more to be found in another similar climate countries such as Vietnam, China, Thailand and some other countries.
Here are 14 species of bamboo that are can be easily found growing, especially in Indonesia:
- Arundinaria japonica, found in Java.
- Bambusa arundinacea, in Java and Sulawesi.
- Bambusa tulda Munro. In Java.
- Gigantochloa, in Sumatra.
- Schizotachyum brachycladum Kuez, in Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi, and Maluku.
- Phyllostachys aurea A & Ch. Riviera, in Java.
- Gigantochloa robusta Kurz, found in Sumatra, Java, and Bali.
- Melocanna bacifera (Roxb) Kurz. In Java.
- Nastus elegantissimus (Hassk) Holt. (Bamboo Eul-eul) in Java.
- Gigantochloa, in Bali.
- Schizotachyum blunei Ness, in Java, East Nusa Tenggara,
- Sumatra, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, and Maluku.
- Gigantochloa hasskarliana, found in Sumatra, Java, and Bali.
- Schizotachyum candatum Backer ex Heyne (reed Bungkok) in Sumatra. And many more.
[ also see : Important Nutrients for Adults and Teenagers ]
Benefits Of Bamboo
What are the benefits of bamboo trees??
There are lots of benefits of bamboo trees, it is ranging from leaves, stems and in other parts of the bamboo trees.
It is worth for reading through, let’s jumps right in;
1. As Pets or animals Food
Due to the tender bamboo shoots, twigs and leaves from the bamboo tree here the main food source of the panda in China, red pandas in Nepal, and the bamboo lemurs in Madagascar. Mice also eat pieces of bamboo. African mountain Golirra also eat bamboo, as well as chimpanzees and elephants also takes part of culms
2. As Culinary
Fermented bamboo shoots in a state is the main ingredient in a wide range of culinary in the Himalayas.
In India called Khorisa. In Nepal, bamboo shoots fermented with turmeric and sayut oil, then cooked with potatoes into dishes eaten with rice.
While in Indonesia, bamboo shoots in thin slices and boiled with coconut milk and spices to make curry bamboo shoots.
3. As a cooking tool
The inside of the old bamboo rods are usually used as a cooking appliance in many Asian cultures.
Soup and rice cooked in bamboo rods are exposed to the fire until done.
Cook inside a bamboo rod reliably produce different flavors.
4. As the material makes cooking tools
Bamboo is also used to make chopsticks and other cooking tools such as spatulas.
Bamboo tree in traditional cultures is the raw material of various household appliances, such as rice baskets, winnowing, fish traps, bamboo hat (hat).
5. As a material for home construction
There are so many rural areas in many Asian countries which are use the benefits of Bamboo trees as its wall, instead of bricks or stones.
Not only in China, in Java, Indonesia, these trees are well used as house walls since many centuries ago.
It comes from the wall thick bamboo trees, especially at the base as the rafters.
Bamboo herein also as a source of building materials that are widely available in Asian countries’ rural area and could be updated.
There are the approximately 1,250 species of bamboo in the world, 140 species or 11% of them came from Indonesia.
Buildings made of bamboo resistant to earthquake shocks.
However, this is less applied by communities that have the scope in disaster-prone areas.
6. As a bridge construction
Bamboo rods are still often used as an emergency bridge, on the countryside is all around us.
Bamboo has a fairly large size and strong, capable of being used as a material for building bridges
7. As a musical instrument
In Indonesia, it is known that bamboo is often used as a traditional musical instrument.
One is a musical instrument “Angklung”.
Not only Angklung, there are “Flute” from bamboo comes from Sunda are also made from bamboo trees called “Seruling” or “suling”.
8. Can be made as crafts & decorations, households and furniture
Bamboo trees here can be used as a fan, wall hangings, booths, bamboo sun screen, cots, fences, and some can be used as a floor.
Bamboo can be also made as an alternative to to be made as floor because of physical similarities to hardwoods.
In addition due to durability as well as resistance to insects and moisture while having the added benefit of being environmentally friendly bamboo flooring here really an option.
9. As Weapons
In the days / times of war bamboo here is also utilized by Indonesia fighter as a weapon, during Independence war, which is called “Bambu Runcing”.
Which is literally means bamboo spears.
However, if we know that in some areas of East Asia and Southeast Asia Bamboo is used as a self-defense tool.
An example is the martial art Silambam in Ancient Tamil Era, on martial arts fighters will be mutually partner sparring party use with bamboo sticks each.
10. As another source of food
The very young sprouts of this tree can be cooked as vegetables too.
Even though it has less vitamins and minerals, at leas it is very useful to fight against famine or starvation in certain areas.
11. As natural substitute of sand paper
Use its dry leaves as rubbing to make your wood furniture to be more look naturally shinier, instead of using ordinary varnish.
You might have to be very patient on using this method though.
Since, when its leaves are dry and becoming bright grayish colored, it will become very fragile and easy to torn.
12. As Traditional broadcast message gadget
In Javanese traditional cultures, this gadget called “Kentongan”.
Which is hit several times in certain codes to send signals or message if something urgent is going on in a village.
and more over, here are some of the use of bamboo trees, you might have not known of, just yet;
- as traditional weapons. Bamboo rope can be made a weapon, for example made of stakes
- materials for making rope
- tool / place drying clothes
- building materials, for example made as a roof frame house, tools / stairs when builders make the house as a beachhead when in a
- certain height
- as material for bamboo bridge
- traditional communication tools
- material for kitchen utensils (eg made winnowing, rice basket, baskets, fan rice, ladle, etc.)
- material for livestock barns
- tool bearer
- build a fence street / yard
- a bridge for plants (eg, as a propagation beans, cucumbers, cowpeas, and others)
- make bamboo spears
- a building material for example to make a roof truss
- crafts such as wall decoration in the form of bamboo pieces are carved into the image of landscapes, animals, etc.
- chairs and tables made of bamboo
- art tools such as gong and angklung / calung
- shoots as a vegetable
- bamboo sprout
- could also be used as a building material
- a pillar of the house
- roof frame buffer
- art tools
- and others
Efficacy Bamboo Leaves
Benefits of bamboo leaves, was first revealed in the Book of Ming Yi Bie Lu (renowned doctor’s note). Where able to shed phlegm and relieve cough and breathing difficulties.
[ also see : 12 Benefits of Soybeans and Nutritional Content]
Other efficacy, is to neutralize toxins in the body.
According to the Dictionary of Chinese herb, it has also written that the functioning of bamboo leaves give off heat, potent restore fluids, and is a diuretic (diuretic)
And in 1998, Bamboo Leaves categorized by the Board of Health of China in the list of natural herbs for medicine and food.
Even specifically efficacy and yellow bamboo can also be used to treat and reduce anxiety.
1. Bamboo Charcoal efficacious
Bamboo Charcoal is able to absorb malodorous and emit infra red rays. Which are the benefits that can not be found in other types of charcoal.
It also may seem so extraordinary that not only used for decoration. Bamboo Charcoal can also be consumed as teeth whitening.
Where it is known that bamboo charcoal is very positive for human health directly, linked far infra red rays emitted can help improve blood circulation, thus reducing muscle pain, hemorrhoids, burns and wounds
This reading can be found in another article on this blog. 🙂